If you’re a regular reader, you already know that popping pimples is pretty bad for your skin. If your lesions (pimples) are incorrectly drained, you can risk further infection, inflammation, and scarring. Not a happy place to be when you’re trying to live life with confidence!
Okay, so what is a person with a huge pulsating (maybe not pulsating) pimple meant to do without doing further damage?
Thankfully we can speed up the visual effects of our skin’s healing process by shrinking pimples in a few hours for that date, prom or photo. Here are 6 ways on how to shrink a pimple in a few hours.
How to shrink a pimple in a few hours?
1. Ice, Aloe Vera, And Tea Tree
Applying ice to a pimple is arguably one of the easiest home remedies you can do to shrink a pimple because it’s just so easy. The steps after the application of ice are just as important because they fight inflammation an bacteria.
How to Do It?
- Wrap an ice cube with a piece of cloth
- Place the wrapped ice cube directly on the area where a pimple and hold it for two minutes
- Remove the ice cube from a pimple and wait for a few minutes for the temperature of your skin to normalize
- Apply an Aloe Vera paste or gel to the affected area(s)
- Once the aloe vera has dried apply a small dab of tea tree oil to the affected area. There may be some stinging as tea tree oil is very potent.
- Ice serves to cool and calm inflammation on the pimple
- Aloe Vera is a natural anti inflammatory which can be left on the surface of your skin for a number of hours
- Tea tree is antibacterial and antifungal, helping you fight acne causing bacteria.
2. Mint Leaves and Lemon Juice
Dermatologists from New York have recommended that mint leaves can be beneficial for the treatment of acne and acne scars. Fresh Mint leaves have oils and active ingredients that reduce inflammation and redness, while the citric acid present in the lemon juice helps with preventing bacterial growth.
How to Do It?
- Get about a ¼ cup (85g) of fresh mint leaves, taking care to ensure they are fresh
- Make sure to wash and dry them to remove any dirt that might be abrasive to skin
- Proceed to either grind them up in a pestle and mortar or use a blender
- Add a few drops of lemon juice until you have a paste like consistency
- Apply this paste to the affected area(s) for 10-15minutes
- Wash off with a good cleanser
- Mint leaves provide a source of external antioxidants to keep skin soft, vitamin A that helps with excess oils and sebum
- The citric acid lightens skin tone and kills acne causing bacteria
Additionally, you can keep this paste in the fridge to apply again over the course of 2 or 3 days.
3. Green Tea
Green tea is excellent for a whole host of reasons including weight loss, reducing inflammation and reducing sebum production that causes acne. These effects are normally associated with drinking green tea, but the same effects can also be noticed topically too. This procedure will go through the topical treatment of acne with green tea but drinking green tea is also recommended.
How to Do It?
- Add the minimal amount of warm water to 4 grams (0.14oz) of green tea. Alternatively, you can use a tea bag of green tea. Make sure to stir and break up the green tea to expose the maximum surface area for the active ingredients to dissolve into the water
- Dip cotton wool pads into the water and apply to the pimples for 5 minutes
- Repeat the above step 2-5 times
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and moisturize
- Topical application of green tea helps reduce, inflammation, redness, sebum production and fights acne causing bacteria
We recommend doing this freshly each application as we do not want to let the active components of green tea to break down of stored overnight.
If you have teeth you likely have toothpaste in your home! Toothpaste is a great way of reducing pimple size due to the presence of significant amounts of mint, alcohol and baking soda which can reduce the life cycle of a particular pimple.
How to Do It?
- Simply dab a pea sized amount of toothpaste on your finger and apply to your pimple
- Wait for about twenty minutes and wash your skin with a good cleanser
- Repeat twice a day if you don’t have further irritation on your skin
- Moisturize well after application
- Application of toothpaste helps reduce pimple size because of the of the anti inflammatory and antibacterial effects of the various active ingredients in the toothpaste. These include mint, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol and baking soda
- Make sure not to overdo this due to the drying effects of toothpaste on the skin.
5. Water and Sea Salt
Sea salt is excellent as it is anti inflammatory, antibacterial, and exfoliant if you get this particular mixture correct. We’ve written an article on its benefits and found it to excellent for body acne.
How to Do It?
- Simply dissolve 4 grams of sea salt in the minimum amount of warm water. You want to look out for the point where the sea salt has just dissolved
- Soak a cotton wool pad in the mixture and squeeze any excess water out
- Place the pad over your pimple for 3-5 minutes
- Repeat the soaking and placing process 2-4 times
- Wash skin with a good cleanser
- The pimple should have decreased considerably in size due to the concentration of the sea salt water mixture
- The anti inflammatory and antibacterial effects of sea salt will also slow down any further breakouts around the surround areas.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is excellent for reducing sebum and excess oils on the surface of the skin which is one of the causes of acne and pimples. Furthermore, baking soda is also amphoteric which acts as an acid or base dependant on its environment. This means it can correct any pH imbalance on your skin.
Additionally, when combined with water and a few drops of tea tree oil it is an excellent exfoliant due to its gritty texture.
How to Do It?
- Use 5 grams (it doesn’t have to be exact) and mix with warm water to form a gritty paste.
- Add the water gradually to the consistency right.
- Additionally, add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil for added antibacterial effects
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas and let it sit for 10 minutes
- Wash off with a good cleanser and moisturize well as baking soda can be extremely drying
- Due to the rough texture of the baking soda water mixture, you will unclog pores of dead skin cells, excess oils and sebum resulting in a visibly smaller pimple.
- The added tea tree adds the all important antibacterial properties to the treatment
- Make sure to moisturize as baking soda can be drying. Use with caution if you have sensitive skin.
Final Thoughts On How To Shrink A Pimple In A Few Hours
Remember these solutions are not magic bullets for treating acne long term. They are only for emergency situations where you need to reduce a pimple quickly for special occasions.