Moisturization is vital in preventing fine lines, wrinkles and helping your skin look healthy and full of life. Arguably, moisturizing your acne prone skin is even more important than the average person in keeping acne free and should be part of a daily skincare routine in having clear skin.
Let’s jump into the things that will maximise the return on moisturizing your acne prone skin. For the best acne moisturizers just scroll down.
Editors Note: We love retinoids for treating acne because they work! One of our favorites in this list (which was hard to choose) is the Retinol Surge Moisturizer by Body Merry.
Pre moisturization Routine?
Hygiene and bathing technique is one of the most fundamental components of staying acne free in addition to diet, stress and other factors. Acne is caused by clogged pores filled with sebum and dead skin cells. Gentle exfoliation either physical or chemical is shown to unclog pores and slough off dead skin cells bringing healthy new skin cells to the surface.
With the addition of the steam opening up pores the effects of exfoliation are magnified which leaves your skin able to receive the dose of moisturizer more fully.
Bathing or showering once a day is ideal. Any less and you risk poor hygiene and clogging pores, any more and you risk washing away natural oils that protect your skin from the harsh realities of modern living.
Scientifically speaking the best time to moisturize is straight after the shower or shaving to lock in the water moisture on the damp skin.
What moisturizer to use for Acne Prone Skin?
Before you go ahead and moisturize, know your skin type, where and what area of your skin is affected with acne. Click here for a run down of what time of skin you have.
After you’ve found out your skin type make sure to use the correct type of moisturizer for your skin type. This is to get the best results, for example, if you have oily skin you don’t want to be adding a moisturizer with a high oil content, potentially making your acne worse.
Best Moisturizer For Acne Prone Skin
1. Natural Moisturizer For Acne Prone Skin – By Burts Bees
This natural moisturizer for acne prone skin is clinically proven and dermatologically tested for oily acne prone skin. The list of ingredients in this moisturizer is derived from natural sources such as the salicylic acid from willow bark and other oils derived from plants. Click here to check the price on Amazon.
- Noncomedogenic which will help prevent clogging of pores to cause acne
- Clinical tests were specifically for finding out whether this product would reduce oil on the skin. It does!Naturally derived salicylic acid from willow bark
- Excellent customer service if you have any problems with this natural moisturizer for acne prone skin
- Due to its list of natural ingredients, some separation may occur so shaking the bottle is advised before use.
2. Lavo Moisturizer for oily, combination acne prone skin – By Lavo
Great for both men and women the Lavo daily moisturizer cream is targeted for those people who have oily, combination and sensitive skin. In addition to this, the actual cream has a wonderful blue color with a premium feel. In the list of features of this moisturizer for acne prone skin, Lavo claims their moisturizer reduces fine lines, wrinkles, blackheads, whiteheads and of course acne. Click here to check the price on Amazon.
- Mattifies skin to reduce the look of oily and shiny skin. Excellent on the T zone.
- Great for using before applying makeup as it helps distribute a thin layer of product to help stop pollutants from entering pores
- A very light moisturizer where a little goes a long way
- Some users experience more oil when used. For these users, this may not be the moisturizer for oily acne prone skin.
3. TreeActiv Acne Eliminating Face Cream – By TreeActiv
Packed full of essential oils that fight acne and inflammation it is no wonder why TreeActiv is so confident about its claims in fighting acne, blackheads, whiteheads and pimples that they provide a resolution to help get you acne free! Click here to check latest prices on Amazon.
- Full of key essential oils proven to combat acne, help inflammation and moisturize
- TreeActiv has a “find your solution guarantee” where they help you to find a resolution to your acne moisturization woes in their other lines of moisturizers. In addition to helping you find another moisturizer they also provide a refund.
- Quick absorption, which is great for oily prone skin
- Very light and absorbs into the skin quickly.
- Although not unpleasant there is a strong smell of tea tree and peppermint/spearmint.
4. Retinol Surge Moisturizer cream – By Body Merry
No list is complete without a retinol moisturizer! The list benefits of retinoids are short but powerful, in essence, they work to unclog pores, reduce inflammation which helps to reduce the symptoms and visible look of acne. Click here to check price on Amazon.
- Suitable for all skin types. Body Merry has instructions and the best times of day to use.
- Although the active ingredient retinol helps to fight acne it feels like an afterthought with this cream. In saying this many users report that they have had great results in reducing acne.
- Helps with discolorization of skin to help even out skin tone
- Good value for 3.4oz (97ml) of product which seems to go a long way.
5. Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin – By Neutrogena
Specifically formulated for individuals with sensitive acne prone skin this moisturizer is water based with a light nongreasy texture. In addition to helping moisturize sensitive skin, it also has another version with SPF35 to help prevent fine lines from sun damage. Click here to check latest price on Amazon.
- Excellent value for a large volume of product at 4oz (118ml)
- Specifically designed for sensitive skin preventing breakouts of whiteheads, blackheads, and acne.Can be applied under makeup
- A version with SPF35 is also available but the reviewed version was SPF free. Alcohol-free with a pleasant grapefruit smell
- Great for both men and women. Common uses are after shaving to combat any inflammation and irritation after shaving
Final Thoughts on Moisturizers for Acne
Remember that moisturization is one competent of a wider routine in staying acne free including diet, exercise, exfoliation and a proper skin care regimen.
Make sure to pick the right moisturizer for your skin type. If you’re unsure read this.
Getting the most out of your moisturization routine is a science, make sure to shower or bathe beforehand with gentle exfoliation so you unclog pores, lock in moisture to help keep skin soft, supple and acne free.
For me, the best moisturizer is the tea tree acne eliminating face cream by TreeACtiv simply because it works. It does have a strong smell of tea tree and peppermint but that’s a small price to pay for being acne free. Alternatively, if you’re looking for a “cheapie but goodie” the Neutrogena oil free moisturizer is an excellent choice.