When you think of clay masks your mind probably jumps right to thoughts of spa days and the cliche mask and cucumber over the eyes image that dominates our perspective of facial masks. But did you know that clay masks can actually be extremely beneficial in treating acne breakouts and preventing future outbreaks from occurring?
Editors Note: We found the Pure Biology Clay Face Mask to be our preferred option for the results achieved and the premium feel of the clay mask.
Clay masks work to absorb surface build-up like bacteria, toxins and other skin irritants, helping to cleanse and gently exfoliate your skin, allowing it to breathe and dry up excess oils that clog your pores and cause acne breakouts to occur.
Today, there are hundreds of different clay masks available to purchase, and like any skincare product, some are awesome and some not so great. To help you find a clay mask that’s going to help you cleanse your skin and treat your acne breakouts we’ve researched three of the leading masks on the market today and compiled them here alongside their pros and cons so that you can find the match that best suits your skin and your needs.
Each of these clay masks is specifically designed to provide a deep cleansing experience for your skin, helping to clear the debris, oil and toxins that frequently contributing to making your acne conditions worse.
Best Clay Mask for Acne
1. Clay Face Mask – By Pure Biology
The Pure Biology Clay Face Mask combines a pure Bentonite Clay base with NaturePep Pea extract, an ingredient clinically-tested to help correct skin defects while brightening and smoothing your complexion. NaturePep Pea extract is an extract that’s drawn straight from the pod of a pea and works to interrupt the overproduction of melanin in your skin, allowing skin pigment to return to a more balanced state and overall brightening your complexion.
Made of GMO-free, paraben and cruelty-free ingredients that are 91 percent natural, the Pure Biology Clay Face Mask works to detoxify and deep clean your pores, minimizing their appearance while reducing and fading red spots, acne scars, blackheads and excess oils that build up under your skin.
- Many users reported clearer skin after introducing this clay mask into their skincare routine
- Made from GMO-free, paraben-free, cruelty-free and 91 percent natural ingredients
- Contains NaturePep Pea extract that works to balance skin pigment and brighten your complexion while reducing and fading dark spots, red spots and acne scars
- Works to detoxify and deep clean your pores while minimizing their appearance
- Clears blackheads and excess oil build-up on your skin that contributes to acne breakouts
- Designed with sensitive skin in mind and ideal for oily and combination skin that is frequently more prone to acne breakouts
- Some users complained that the product was only half-full upon receiving it
- Some users only noticed minimal difference when using this face mask
The Pure Biology Clay Face Mask provides a great clay mask option for treating sensitive, oily and combination skin types. The use of the NaturePep Pea extract works to even and brighten your complexion while the Bentonite Clay base works to deep clean and detoxify your pores helping to clear and hopefully prevent future acne outbreaks from occurring. Be aware however that many users reported receiving less of the product than what was expected so if this product works for you, more frequent refills may be necessary with regular use. Click here to check price on Amazon.
2. Dead Sea Mud Mask for Face & Body – By New York Biology
New York Biology’s Dead Sea Mud Mask is designed to accommodate all skin types from dry to oily to combination and sensitive. Used daily, this mud mask is designed to gently cleanse and detoxify your skin and clear your pores of excess oils and toxins while exfoliating away dead skin that can build up on your face and body.
This mud mask uses a base of purifying Dead Sea mineral mud alongside a herbal complex formula of Aloe Vera, Chamomile extract, Vitamin A, Sunflower Seed Oil and Jojoba Oil to soothe and balance your complexion. Made in Israel using the highest quality ingredients, New York Biology’s Dead Sea Mud Mask provides an alcohol, paraben and sulphate-free option for cleansing skin and treating your acne outbreaks.
- Many users saw clearer skin after introducing this mud mask into their daily skincare routine
- Designed to treat all different skin types from dry to oily, sensitive to irritated
- Provides a gentle cleansing experience using a Dead Sea mineral mud base paired with a herbal extract that soothes and balances your complexion
- Made in Israel, this mud mask is alcohol-free, paraben-free, sulphate-free and cruelty-free
- This mud treatment’s exfoliating properties can also work to stimulate blood flow and circulation in your face and body
- Some users with sensitive skin reported that this mud mask made their acne break out more than before
- Some users found this product to be drying on their skin
- Some users complained that the ingredients on the jar did not match what was listed online
New York Biology’s Dead Sea Mud Mask gives an all-encompassing mud mask alternative for treating acne conditions on all skin types. While those of us with sensitive skin should likely do a sample test before applying this mask to our faces to ensure it doesn’t irritate our skin, it has yielded many positive results for users looking to exfoliate, cleanse and clear their acne breakouts.
In addition to this the exfoliating powers found in this Dead Sea Mud Mask work to stimulate blood flow to your face helping to increase circulation which in turn nourishes skin cells and helps to keep them healthy and vital. Click here to check price on Amazon.
3. Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Facial Mask – By Aztec Secret
Aztec Secret’s Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Facial Mask is made in the USA and designed with a 100 percent natural Calcium Bentonite clay base to deep clean pores and remove excess oils and environmental build-up under your skin that can contribute to acne breakouts. As a bonus, this clay mask is perfume and additive-free and made without the use of animal products.
While designed for skin types of all varieties, its advised that those of us with sensitive skin don’t leave this mask on for more than 10 minutes in order to prevent redness and drying effects from occurring. Minimal redness is expected to occur with use of this mask however this colouring is expected to fade within 30 minutes of application. Additionally, its important to know that this clay mask is designed to be mixed with equal parts apple cider vinegar and/or water in order to activate its full healing effects.
- Many users have noticed dramatically positive results when integrating this clay mask into their skincare routine
- Made from 100 percent natural Calcium Bentonite clay this mask works to deep clean pores and remove acne causing oils and toxins from beneath your skin
- Perfume, additive and animal product-free
- Some redness is expected to occur with this product but should fade naturally within 30 minutes of use
- This product must be mixed with apple cider vinegar and/or water in order to fully activate its healing potential
- Sensitive skin types should be aware of irritating effects with extended use of this clay mask
Aztec Secret’s Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing Facial Mask provides another strong clay mask option for treating your acne condition. Although perhaps not ideal for those of us with sensitive skin types, this clay mask yields a high number of extremely positive reviews from many users as a result of the dramatic healing results it has had on their skin and acne conditions. Click here to check price on Amazon.
Final Thoughts On The Best Clay Mask for Acne
Clay masks provide an awesome alternative to the classic topical treatments like serums and cleansers that we most commonly use to treat our acne outbreaks. Beyond the classic associations we often have with these masks they have the ability to provide our skin with a deep cleansing experience that works to extract the dirt, debris, oils and toxins that frequently clog our pores and contribute to the severity of our acne breakouts.
The three options we’ve discussed in this article provide some of the best on the market today and understanding your needs and the benefits that each of these unique masks offer will help you to make an informed purchasing decision and help to cleanse, heal and hopefully prevent your acne outbreaks from occurring in the future!